3.08.2015

The Wonderful Mystery Behind Shelter Dogs | Ron

(Update 3.23.15: Dolly has been adopted!)

Dolly exploded from her kennel. I barely caught her collar as she darted past me. She wriggled and leaped and twirled as I finally managed to clasp her to my leash.

And then we were off. In a furious charge to the exit.

Dolly jumped. She grabbed my leg. Then my other leg. And then as we hit daylight, she decided to go into a touchdown celebration dance. 

Oh no, I thought to myself, this is not going to be a pleasant walk.

I was wrong.

In a matter of minutes, Dolly was walking peacefully at my side like she had been my dog for years. I admired her snow-white face and brindle body as she strode through the sunshine. But I soon began to notice something. She had no interest in sniffing anything. Not a plant. Or a tree. Or the grass.

Kinda odd. Dogs love to sniff. Especially dogs that have been cooped up in a concrete kennel for most of the day. But Dolly was different. She wanted to do two things: Chomp on chicken and stroll lazily. That was fine by me, but it made me want to know her backstory. Was Dolly a city dwelling dog who never really got a chance to romp in the grass? Was she simply kept on the side of house in one of those long, paved dog runs? 

That's the thing with shelter dogs. They're kind of a mystery. You only get hints of their past by their behavior in the present.

For Dolly, I suppose it doesn't much matter. She's a good dog. A very good dog.

--Ron

Enjoy Dolly's photos from her glamour shoot with Shannon Skalinsky today and the video that Chloe made of her. Dolly got lucky and found her forever home quickly, but many more dogs need home. For more information, visit PBSOC.



(If you cannot view the video below, please visit HERE.)


No comments:

Post a Comment