2.15.2015

Moxy...One Happy Girl! | Chandra

Today, we met Moxy. Except that when we met her, Moxy had another name: Creeper. I cannot even imagine who would name this happy, smiley, tail wagging girl Creeper but I'm thinking it was a serious case of projection. Luckily Delyse stepped in and gave this lovely girl a name she can be proud of.

Moxy seems to love everyone. She greeted me with a big smile and a fiercely wagging tail which is incredible given that she was just off her seven day hold and hadn't been out of her kennel that whole time. I slipped a harness on, gave her a bite of chicken and took her out the door. Well, tried to take her out the door. First I had to find my way out of the building, again.

This is my biggest challenge so far at the shelter. The dogs are great, the people are great. Everything is great. Except finding my way around.

The Bradshaw shelter is set up with two sides that mirror each other, and in spite of my ferocious attempts to concentrate and figure out how it all fits together, I just can't seem to do it. I end up wandering around desperately reading the little signs on the wall looking for delivery from my misery. Sometimes I feel tears welling up with the frustration of it. And then I just berate myself for being so silly as to let it get to me.

Next time I'm going to take a photo of the evacuation drawing and print it out at home, bring it with me the shelter and make myself a cheat sheet. It's just awful to have a dog on a leash and not know where to go. Especially since we have to be careful not to let the dogs get close to each other and I'm never sure who is coming around a corner.

Small thing, but I need to figure it out so I can be more effective. Using up precious dog walking time wandering around lost is not the best plan.

Anyway, back to sweet Moxy.

Moxy - SacCountyDogs.com

Moxy is not the most gorgeous girl at first glance, but she definitely grows on you, quickly. Her demeanor is wonderful, she has a soft mouth for taking treats, she walks nicely on a leash, and she loves to sit snuggled beside you for some serious petting. She also is awfully cute when she hits the grass and immediately flops down and rolls around on her back. Major tummy rubbing is called for.

Shannon did a wonderful job, as always, capturing Moxy in the few minutes she had her in front of the camera. Chicken helped.

Moxy - SacCountyDogs.com

This girl is going to make someone very happy. Please do share her and help her forever family find her!

(Chloe made an adorable video from our time today...if you cannot see it below, please click HERE to view on YouTube.)

 

For more info on adoptable dogs, please visit SacCountyDogs.com or visit the Sacramento County Animal Shelter. You can also share this page with your friends.

And if you have any suggestions for my directionally challenged ways, please let me know.

Thanks for reading:)

Chandra

Update 4.1.15: Unfortunately, Moxy turned out to have a medical problem that kept her from being adoptable. I'm glad she had lots of the love from all the volunteers at the shelter, but she didn't make it out. This is the tough part of volunteering...falling in love with each and every dog. They don't all have happy endings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment